Forums Archived

The forums are being archived. See this topic for more information.

Video (Movie Playback)

Discussion about anything related to Rubygame

Video (Movie Playback)

Postby full_nelson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi there,

I just started using the rubygame library, and im quite amazed for being able to do so much in so little time, really good you guys made, anyhow , i have this idea for a game in my head but i require the ability to play video files no matter wich format, as long as i can convert it... so .. is it possible to play video files/media on rubygame ?

Ruby shoe is able to do so but using vlc, not a native feature, even so, being able to do that would be great :)

Thanks!
Last edited by jacius on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified subject line
full_nelson

Re: Video

Postby kiba » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 pm

I don't think rubygame is built to support video formats.
I write libre games. My libre game programming service is also availiable for anybody that want to pay.

I ran the Libregamewiki, the free gaming encyclopedia.
kiba

Re: Video

Postby jacius » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 am

Rubygame doesn't have any way to play movies, unfortunately. It could be added in a future version, but I can't make any promises about when or if that will happen. It would be a welcome contribution, if there's anyone out there willing to help out.

I'm not sure if this would help you, but -- ruby can run other programs, so in theory you could run a movie player program (VLC, MPlayer, whatever) to play the movie. It would show up in another window, so obviously it's not ideal, but maybe it would be good enough?
jacius
Site Admin

Re: Video (Movie Playback)

Postby full_nelson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 pm

I'm not sure if this would help you, but -- ruby can run other programs, so in theory you could run a movie player program (VLC, MPlayer, whatever) to play the movie. It would show up in another window, so obviously it's not ideal, but maybe it would be good enough?

If it stayed on the same window ... like an animated background that would be ideal (it would matter if it had to run outside apps), but i'll see what else i can do tks for the reply tho ;)

By the way kiba _excellent_ work on those tutorials they've been very useful thanks ^^
full_nelson

Return to Rubygame (General)