Forums Archived

The forums are being archived. See this topic for more information.

The Rubygame Book Update Thread

Get help and support with Rubygame

The Rubygame Book Update Thread

Postby kiba » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:52 pm

The Rubygame Book, which some rubygame users may have used to get started, is going under a major rewrite, with about 10 edits/commits everyday. See the rewrite section in the table of content to access the bleeding edge.

Be advised that the development of the tutorial have a hard limit of 10 edits/commits spread between the github codebase and the writing project so if nothing is happening, than wait until tommorow.

If you have any feedback, comments, concern, gripes, etc, be sure to say in this thread so I can make this tutorial as the most awesome as possible.
I write libre games. My libre game programming service is also availiable for anybody that want to pay.

I ran the Libregamewiki, the free gaming encyclopedia.
kiba

Re: The Rubygame Book Update Thread

Postby kiba » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Yo, part 5 is pretty much finished and part 6 is just starting!
I write libre games. My libre game programming service is also availiable for anybody that want to pay.

kiba

Postby kiba » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Part 6 is completed. Just need to test all the code.

kiba

Postby kiba » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Part 6 is finished.

kiba

Postby cavygalaxy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:53 am

do you have any tutorials on platform games in there? :ugeek:
Cannibal Troll
A troll that trolls other trolls, thus making the internet a better place
cavygalaxy

Postby kiba » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 pm

cavygalaxy wrote:do you have any tutorials on platform games in there? :ugeek:

If you have actually read the table of content page, you will see that the tutorial centered around creating a pong clone, not a platforming game.

The lessons I wishes to teaches in my tutorial is supposed to be applicable to other game projects, including the platforming variety.

kiba

Postby shawn42 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Not to hijack you thread kiba, but you could look in the examples directory of gamebox for a sample platformer that will get you started. It's called Major Ruby.
shawn42

Postby cgmjr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:46 am

*wave* Just found RubyGame. It feels perfect for a project I have in mind. I'm learning Ruby, so your tutorial is very interesting to me. Please let me encourage you to finish those other chapters. The existing parts have been very helpful as I spin up.
cgmjr

Postby kiba » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 pm

cgmjr wrote:*wave* Just found RubyGame. It feels perfect for a project I have in mind. I'm learning Ruby, so your tutorial is very interesting to me. Please let me encourage you to finish those other chapters. The existing parts have been very helpful as I spin up.

Unfortunately, the book has been stalled for quite sometime due to my inability to presents a satisfiable event system framework.

kiba

Postby cgmjr » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:01 am

kiba wrote:Unfortunately, the book has been stalled for quite sometime due to my inability to presents a satisfiable event system framework.

Well, your Dependencity is a clever bit of work, and I'd like to see what else you have up your sleeve, event system framework aside. Because of your reply, I've consumed most of the samples I could find on Rubygame::Events et al, and I feel I have a decent handle on hooks, queues, and make_magic_hooks now. Perhaps you've set your sights too high on this topic? Perhaps just a straightforward treatment of the key classes and concepts would suffice, and get your book off high-center?

I'm willing to participate and contribute if you wish, although my Ruby skills are weak right now. But I intend to correct that...
cgmjr

Return to Help & Support