Forums Archived

The forums are being archived. See this topic for more information.

Installing Rubygam 2.5 on Vista/Cygwin with Ruby 1.9.1

Get help and support with Rubygame

Installing Rubygam 2.5 on Vista/Cygwin with Ruby 1.9.1

Postby Myles » Sat May 02, 2009 8:06 am

Hi rubygamers--

After trying to install Ruby in Vista using the 1-click installer and getting a failure I don't even want to go into describing, I decided to go the Cygwin route. So I installed Cygwin and a big chunk of developement tools and libraries. I compiled Ruby 1.9.1. No prob. I compiled SDL. No prob. I also did a 'gem install win32-api' for good measure. I also threw in rubysdl-mswin32-1.9 (2.1.0) just in case. I dl'd the Rubygame 2.5 gem and 'gem install rubygame-2.5.0.gem'. Looks like I'm missing win32.h. Does anyone know what gem I need to install to get this header?

Thanks!
--Myles

Code: Select all
$ gem install rubygame-2.5.0.gem
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing rubygame:
        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

rake RUBYARCHDIR=/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rubygame-2.5.0/lib RUBYLIBDIR=/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rubygame-2.5.0/lib
(in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rubygame-2.5.0)
Compiling rubygame/rubygame_main.c
In file included from /usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/ruby.h:70,
                 from /usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby.h:32,
                 from ext/rubygame/rubygame_shared.h:25,
                 from ext/rubygame/rubygame_main.c:22:
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/defines.h:192:24: ruby/win32.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby.h:32,
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/ruby.h:73:20: alloca.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/ruby.h:1126,
                 from /usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby.h:32,
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:225: error: parse error before "fd_set"
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:225: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:226: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `rb_fdset_t'
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:226: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:228: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `rb_fdset_t'
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:228: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:229: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:231: error: parse error before "rb_fdset_t"
/usr/local/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/intern.h:329: error: parse error before "fd_set"
rake aborted!
Command failed. Aborting.

(See full trace by running task with --trace)

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rubygame-2.5.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rubygame-2.5.0/gem_make.out
Myles

Re: Installing Rubygam 2.5 on Vista/Cygwin with Ruby 1.9.1

Postby Myles » Sat May 02, 2009 8:38 am

I've decided that cygwin will probably be a never-ending headache and so aborted that route. So unless someone has a step-by-step "HOWTO Build Rubygame in Cygwin" guide, we can kill this thread. Or maybe we should try and create such a thing? Debugging obscure windows compile errors is not my idea of fun when I really just want to write ruby.

So I'm back to getting ruby working on Vista and I'm back to the arcane errors in the install. I'll take that to the 1-click installer forums though. BTW, I have an XP system with Ruby and Rubygame installed and working, so I'm blaming Vista, but I think there's something major flaky in the 1-click installer, besides the fact that it's something like 5 clicks :).

Thanks,
--Myles
Myles

Postby shawn42 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Hey Myles,
Thanks for the info. If you _do_ get it working on Vista please post details. I've been thinking that it may be about time for a large list of binaries for developing and running rubygame games. Binaries that include Ruby, SDL, and Rubygame. Maybe not ruby... hrm *scratches head* we'll see.

Anyways, just in the #rubygame channel on freenode (IRC) if you get a chance.
shawn42

Postby bmatthew1 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm currently running XP but for a year before this I ran Vista. :)

The Ruby One-Click Installer worked fine in Vista, are you sure you're installing it as an Administrator?

If you're looking for win32.h you'll probably find it at the following location...

Code: Select all
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8\i386-mswin32\win32
bmatthew1

Return to Help & Support