Forums Archived

The forums are being archived. See this topic for more information.

Introductions (Say hello!)

Discussion about anything related to Rubygame

Introductions (Say hello!)

Postby jacius » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 pm

Hello! This is the thread for introducing yourself to the Rubygame community!

Tell us about yourself, your interests, what you'd like to use Rubygame for, and so on. :)

I'll start:

My name is John Croisant, aka jacius. I'm the creator of Rubygame. :D I'm both an artist and a programmer. On the art side, I do mostly digital 2D and 3D stuff. I use all open source software, mainly Gimp, Inkscape, and Blender. I have an AAS degree in 3D computer animation. On the programming side, I love Ruby (of course), but I also use C, C++ (not by choice, ugh), LSL (Second Life's scripting language), shell script, Emacs lisp, and occasionally PHP, Python, and Javascript.

I'm especially interested in ambient music and mellow games like flOw, Aether, and Eufloria. My dream is to create a sound/music toy similar to Electroplankton. But in a bizarre twist of fate, I spend more time writing and maintaining Rubygame than I do actually using it to make games. :lol:

I'm always happy to help people learn and use Rubygame!

Now... it's your turn! Say hello. :)
jacius
Site Admin

Re: Introductions (Say hello!)

Postby shawn42 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:13 pm

Well hello there John.

My name is Shawn Anderson aka shawn42.

I have a BS in computer programming and love working in Ruby. I also spend a fair amount of work-time in Java-land, but have done work in most languages/platforms.

Thanks for creating Rubygame! I use it for creating little games here and there. I even wrote Jeopardy! in Rubygame using my Wii-mote for scoring!

I too spend more time on my framework Gamebox (built on top of Rubygame) than I do on writing actual games.... My goal is to create a game(s) that people play and enjoy. :D
shawn42

Postby smotchkkiss » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:24 am

@me.say "hello world"

A friend and I plan on making some simulator type games with sets of uniform laws and procedurally generated worlds.

Because I am a ruby enthusiast, I'm exploring Rubygame as a potential framework.

Where should we get started?

Nice to meet you all!
smotchkkiss

Postby cgmjr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:22 am

smotchkkiss wrote:@me.say "hello world"

A friend and I plan on making some simulator type games with sets of uniform laws and procedurally generated worlds.

Because I am a ruby enthusiast, I'm exploring Rubygame as a potential framework.

Where should we get started?

Nice to meet you all!

*waving to smothckkiss*
cgmjr

Postby brandon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi all! I'm Brandon, a software engineer in South Carolina. I've been dabbling in game programming for years. I just stumbled onto rubygame, and so far, pretty cool! What's in store for the future of the project?
brandon

Postby cavygalaxy » Wed May 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Yo! I'm Nicholas D. West. I am a programmer that's only 12 years old. can u believe it? :D
EDIT: My B-Day is July 9, so now i am 13.
Last edited by cavygalaxy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannibal Troll
A troll that trolls other trolls, thus making the internet a better place
cavygalaxy

Postby shawn42 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Welcome! There's no age requirements for awesome :D
shawn42

Postby JRJurman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm Jesse R. Jurman, I'm 17 and I've been programming in Ruby for over a year now... I actually found this when trying to improve a radio automation program that I made. After looking at some of the projects built with ruby game I can't wait to delve in!
JRJurman

Postby sitting » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:29 am

Hello my name is Jonathan and im from sweden, i go under sitting when im online.
Hm first time i learned about ruby was in school for like 1 year ago i think, the basics, then we start learning java witch i did not like at all, it was hard and so on. Now after school i started to learn ruby again, becouse a friend of mine started to talk about it. I wanted to make something more then text based stuff with command prompt window :)

So i searched some and ended up here :)
sitting

Postby Fridgecrisis » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey, everyone! I'm Fridgecrisis. I'm twenty years old, and I've been dabbling in programming for maybe a year or two, but wasn't really serious about it until recently. I got into Ruby through the RPG Maker programs, which use their own little brand of Ruby. As I got more into RPG Maker, I started learning how to edit the scripts, but eventually I got tired of having to work around a bunch of secret code and rigid stuff I wasn't "allowed" to change (at least, that's how I felt about it), so I decided to learn real Ruby and Rubygame so I could make games the way I wanted to. I'm still really new as a Ruby user and a programmer, so I apologize in advance for my n00b-ishness.

My big idea for now is to create an RPG somewhere between Earthbound and Zelda: Majora's Mask with a dash of Scott Pilgrim vs The World.
Fridgecrisis

Next

Return to Rubygame (General)